top of page
  • How do I obtain a building permit?
    A building permit may be obtained by contacting Owen County Building Inspector Matthew Dunaway 502-639-3218.
  • Does Owen County have an occupational tax?
    Owen County does not currently have an occupational tax. For information on the City of Owenton's occupational tax, contact Owenton City Hall at (502) 484-2313.
  • Does the county have a planning and zoning ordinance?
    No, there is no planning and zoning ordinance on the books.
  • How do I seek assistance for a drug addiction; assistance for food, clothing and education; assistance for housing and utilities; transportation assistance?"
    Please visit Northern Kentucky University's Owen County Resources page for information.
  • How do I report a road concern?
    To report a county road concern, please call Owen County Public Works at (502) 484-2427. To report a state road concern, please call the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet's District Six Office at (859) 341-2700.
  • How do I obtain dog tags and/or a kennel license?
    Dog tags may be obtained at the Owen County Judge-Executive's Office, 100 N. Thomas St., Owenton. The cost is $5 each for one to three (1-3) dogs and $3.50 each for four to seven (4-7) dogs (cash or check only; no debit cards). A kennel license may also be obtained at the Owen County Judge-Executive's Office. The cost is $40 for eight (8) or more dogs (cash or check only; no debit cards).
  • What is Owen County EMS' policy regarding transport destination?
    Owen County EMS transports patients to the nearest most appropriate facility.
  • What is the difference between ALS and BLS units?
    ALS stands for Advanced Life Support. BLS stands for Basic Life Support. A BLS unit will have two Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs). An ALS unit will have an EMT and a paramedic. A BLS provider is very limited in the use of medications, medical equipment and lifesaving procedures. An ALS provider can administer various medications, start intravenous (IV) fluids, defibrillate, intubate, etc. Unlike the BLS unit, an ALS unit will be equipped with airway equipment, cardiac life support, cardiac monitors, ventilators and a glucose testing device.
  • Once an ambulance arrives and I decide I do not need an ambulance but wish to go to a medical facility, what options do I have?"
    Other options available include Owen County Public Transit, local churches, contacting friends or family or driving yourself to a medical facility.
  • Why does Owen County charge ambulance fees?
    OCEMS is funded by the Owen County Fiscal Court general fund budget, the sole purpose of which is to establish and make available to the community services through a fee or service model which charges for services rendered.
  • When should I call 911?
    It is important to know what to do in a medical emergency because it can save a life. One of the first questions to ask is whether the situation you are dealing with is truly an emergency that requires a trip to the emergency department by ambulance. The examples listed below are the most common reasons you should call for an ambulance during an emergency: - Bleeding that will not stop - Breathing problems (difficulty breathing, shortness of breath) - Change in mental status (such as unusual behavior, confusion, difficulty arousing) - Chest pain - Choking - Coughing up or vomiting blood - Fainting or loss of consciousness - Traumatic head or open limb fracture - Severe or persistent vomiting - Sudden injury due to a motor vehicle accident, burns or smoke inhalation, near drowning, deep or large wound, etc. - Sudden, severe pain anywhere in the body - Sudden dizziness, weakness, or change in vision - Swallowing a poisonous substance - Upper abdominal pain or pressure When in doubt, call 911!
  • What can I do to avoid penalties on property taxes?
    Property tax bills include the following amounts: Discount Amount Face Amount 5% Penalty Amount 21% Penalty Amount To avoid any penalty charges, please pay before the discount or face amount deadlines.
  • Where do I go to get my vehicle inspected?
    The sheriff’s office is located at 102 N. Madison St., Owenton. For an additional $10 fee, you may call and request a deputy be dispatched to your location for vehicle inspection. You must have the exact amount of $15 in cash or personal check made payable to Owen County Sheriff. Deputies do not carry change. If a receipt is required, you will need to contact the office during normal office hours.
  • What documentation do I need for an out-of-state vehicle inspection?
    You will need the title, your driver’s license, and $5 for the inspection fee.
  • How can I renew my Carry A Concealed Deadly Weapon (CCDW) license?
    To renew your CCDW license, you will need the renewal application, a printed color photo, the renewal fee (check payable to Kentucky Treasurer, $40, and check payable to Owen County Sheriff, $20). If you have moved since your license was issued, you will need to come into the office and fill out a change of personal information form.
  • When are property taxes due?
    The Owen County Sheriff’s Office is responsible for collecting taxes for Owen County. Tax bills are normally mailed out at the end of September, with collection beginning Oct. 1 each year. Your tax bill will include the amount due.
bottom of page